Stream of Unconscious

Often I wake in the middle of the night with thoughts and visions that must be written. A lot of it may seem like mere rambling, but I am a born writer; I need to see what happens to my words once they stare back at me from the pages of my computer screen. Since I am ususally more than half-asleep when this happens, I jokingly entitled the original document: "Stream of Unconscious." Now that I am finally starting to publish in a blog (as so many people have suggested I should do!), I thought the title remained appropriate.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

On Dreams...

Much on my mind these days.

Many life-altering decisions to make, and I feel incapable of making them well. This seems to be the point in life where I have to choose which dreams I allow the possibility of life, and which I abandon and leave for dead.

I suppose there isn't any way to keep the heart from being torn a bit, in the midst of the choosing... no matter which way you choose, you lose something, you gain something; you can't look back. I wish it could be different. There are so many dreams I wanted to keep...

There are many things I can't express right now. Others have already said it better than I. Tonight I find myself alone, with a question burning in my mind...


Langston Hughes
A Dream Deferred


What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.


Or does it explode?

1 comment:

brd said...

Are you coming for the 4th? If so, you have a reading requirement. The Stranger by Albert Camus. This will be a topic of discussion for the day!!!

Love the Hughes, but. . . real dreams don't explode. They find their way to the surface in surprising ways I think and they help us rid ourselves of the parts of us that are obstacles to those dreams.

A real dream is not a mirage, nor an impossibility I think, because it is the expression of things within us that are real and good.

Dream on and do.

brd